Q is for Qualified Written RequestA Qualified Written Request allows borrowers to obtain information from their servicer without having to file a lawsuit. You want to save your house and a foreclosure is looming but you’re pretty certain that the lender is claiming you owe more than you actually do. While not part of the bankruptcy code, 12 U.S.C. 2605 is a tool that may assist a debtor to keep their home with or without a bankruptcy filing.

It is common for a lender or mortgage servicer to claim that you owe more money than you think you do. Sometimes these accounting errors even cause you to default on your loan. Some of the common errors are:

  • Compounding interest when not allowed
  • Failure to make timely tax payments thus incurring late charges
  • Failure to properly apply payments made to your account
  • Improperly crediting payments you make
  • Charging impermissible late fees
  • Refusing to accept your payments because there is a difference in balance due and sum paid
  • Forcing insurance on you when you already have shown proof you carry it

Send a Qualified Written Request

The Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) provides for the Qualified Written Request (QWR). As Max Gardner says, “a reasonable QWR can provide the attorney for the Chapter 13 debtor with some of the very best discovery outside of a contested case or Adversary Proceeding.”The servicer must acknowledge your request within 20 work days of receipt and respond to your inquiries within 60 work days. You must include enough information in your request so that the servicer can identify your mortgage account. Usually an account number along with your name and the property address will work. You should also include any errors you believe occurred and clear requests for information.

Ask for a complete transaction history of the loan including all payments and charges. Also ask for the transaction codes and definitions so you can understand the history. You’ll also want any Pooling agreements; the name and contact information of a person to speak with about your account; the name of the current holder of the note; and copies of all correspondence, communication and collection documents related to your account. With this information you will be able to find out what is happening to your account and who owns your mortgage.

What If My Lender Won’t Respond?

There is also a provision in 12 U.S.C. 2605(f) that allows for reasonable attorney fees and costs if the lender or servicer fails to comply with your request.

Other Q articles:

Image courtesy of takomabibelot.


  1. […] Qualified Written Request – Northern California Bankruptcy Lawyer, Catherine Eranthe […]

  2. […] Qualified Written Request    Northern California Bankruptcy Lawyer, Catherine Eranthe […]

  3. […] Attorney, Christopher McAvoy Quit Living on Credit-Wisconsin Bankruptcy Lawyer, Bret Nason Qualified Written Request – Northern California Bankruptcy Lawyer, Catherine Eranthe Qualified Retirement Accounts – Livonia Michigan Bankruptcy Attorney, Peter Behrmann […]

  4. Q is for Qualified Witness…

    Since the mortgage crisis of 2008, we’ve heard a lot about the mysterious and elusive “robo-signors,” who crop up like cockroaches. Just when you think you’ve killed one off, another name shows up. They have been working in the …

  5. […] Qualified Written Request    Northern California Bankruptcy Lawyer, Catherine Eranthe […]

Speak Your Mind